Home

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Old Fashioned Oatmeal Cake




This isn't the most healthy dessert, to be honest  with you I think I have given up on trying to make desserts healthy.  I love to try to eat as healthy as possible, but when it comes to dessert I am a bad bad momma:)  So if you want to be bad with me you MUST give this cake a try.. Plus if you like any thing heirloom I think this fits in that category (Its says Old Fashioned in the title doesn't it?) :)

Ingredients

For The Cake:
1-½ cupQuick Cooking Rolled Oats
1-¼ cupBoiling Water
1 cupSugar
1 cup Packed Brown Sugar
½ cupsButter, Softened
1 teaspoonVanilla
3 Eggs
1-½ cupAll-purpose Flour
1 teaspoonBaking Soda
½ teaspoonsBaking Powder
½ teaspoonsSalt

FOR THE TOPPING:
⅔ cups Packed Brown Sugar
    ¼ cupsButter, Melted
¼ cupsHeavy Whipping Cream 
1 cupCoconut
1 cupChopped Walnuts Or Your Choice Of Nuts
How to Prepare 
In small bowl, combine rolled oats and boiling water; let stand 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 13×9-inch pan.
In a large bowl, combine the sugars and butter; beat until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and eggs; blend well. Add oatmeal and all the remaining cake ingredients; mix well.
Pour batter into the greased and floured pan.
Bake at 350 degrees F for 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
For the topping, in small bowl, combine the brown sugar, butter and whipping cream. Beat at high speed until smooth. Stir in coconut and nuts. Spoon over warm cake; spread to cover.
Broil 4–6 inches from heat for 1 to 2 minutes or until bubbly and light golden brown. Cool 1 hour or until completely cooled

4 comments:

  1. I found you on homemaking link up. Thanks for this recipe! I'm going to try it gluten free and without whip cream (we can't eat dairy or soy) and see how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so i found your blog on the southern hospitality may'd linky party. i love your blog. it's beautiful. i love your love for being a wife and mommy. it's so inspiring. and your girls are darling. it encourages me to be content in my role as a housewife too. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It has oatmeal in it so it can't be all that unhealthy;) Sounds yummy to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I found you over at Fresh, Clean and Pure Friday and Seasonal Saturday...I am a follower of Jesus! Oatmeal cake is one of favorites...thank for sharing! Blessings, K

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...